Latest Jobs Interview Guide Today. VisibleJobs publishes top job interview guide around the globe.
Common customer service interview questions include those
questions that explore the job candidate’s understanding and knowledge
of the principles and practice of customer service help and customer
The prospective employer wants to know that you have the right approach to providing good customer service. Have good interview answers prepared.
1. What does good customer service mean to you?
Customer service interview questions like this come up regularly in interviews for all types of customer service jobs.
It is asked to evaluate:
- your understanding of good customer service
- your level of expectation with regard to customer service
- your knowledge of common customer service principles and practices
This is one of the customer service interview questions you really need to prepare a proper answer for.
In your interview answer focus on the following points about providing good customer service:
- the first impression the customer gets of the business should be positive. Consider aspects such as accessibility, layout, cleanliness, offer of help from personnel. Alternatively the initial impression the customer gets over the phone must be good – how quickly is the call picked up, is the customer helped and directed correctly?
- Online customer service includes the ease of use of the online portal and accessibility to a “real” person if needed.
- good customer service means accurately finding out the customer’s needs by listening properly and asking the right questions. Paying close attention to what the customer is saying to make sure you receive the right message is key.
- the ability to meet these needs efficiently and solving the customer’s problem by having good product or service knowledge, enough information and a positive attitude is core to customer service
- the willingness to provide proper attention to complaints and dealing with them appropriately. Good customer service should be offered with politeness, respect and understanding. It is about attending to customer concerns promptly and accurately.
- the commitment to keep to deadlines or delivery dates is essential. Ensuring that the product or service is delivered when promised or the problem addressed by the agreed deadline and following up with the customer to ensure satisfaction results in a happy customer.
Good customer service is more than just a friendly smile and an offer of help – every aspect of the customer’s experience should be included. It is about taking the extra step, making the extra effort at every customer touch-point.
Find out more at What is the Definition of Customer Service?
This is often followed up with the interview question “Why should we hire you?”
Focus on your strengths and competencies as they relate to the job opportunity to describe your customer service skills and why you are the right job candidate.
2. Describe your customer service philosophy.
This question requires a prepared mission statement that sums up your approach to customer service. For example:
“My philosophy is to take personal responsibility for developing a
positive relationship and providing a good experience for each customer
by giving efficient, accurate and prompt service, by listening to and
understanding the customer’s needs, by meeting or exceeding these needs
and by meeting my commitments, keeping my promises and taking ownership
of my mistakes.”
This is a very common customer service interview question so be ready with a well considered answer. Have some good workplace examples ready to back up your interview answer and show how you walk the walk when it comes to your customer service philosophy.
3. How do you measure good customer service?
like to ask this customer service interview question because it
explores the candidate’s understanding of how to quantify good customer
service in a business context.
Customer service is intangible but there are many ways of measuring whether you are delivering good customer service including:
- number of repeat customers
- customer satisfaction surveys
- number and type of customer complaints received
- number of new customers
- number of referrals given by current customers
- sales figures on specific products
- the number of returns
- social media/website reviews and comments
- benchmarking service with competitors
How to Provide Good Customer Service
Behavioral Customer Service Interview Questions
You can expect a number of behavioral interview questions in your customer service job interview.
These can be tricky and need some thought and preparation. We show you how to answer frequently asked behavioral customer service interview questions.
What you need to know about the customer service job interview before your next interview.
Customer Service Interview Questions – Top Pages
Common Interview Questions and Answers
Questions to Ask the Employer
some good questions prepared to ask the interviewer. Customer service
is about the ability to ask the right questions.
When the interviewer
asks “Have you any questions for me?” make sure you are ready with a couple of insightful questions. Use this list of good Interview Questions to Ask
Your Communications Skills
Communication is key to getting the customer service job. You can find excellent interview communication tips here.
Communication Skills Interview Questions
Your Customer Service Job Application
Customer Service Resume Objective Examples